Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Tweaking

I'm still tweaking the novel ready of submission. I know I said I'd finished but I lied. Not that I knew that then.

Changing something at the beginning of a novel is a risky business. The consequences may not become apparent until fifty thousand words later. Thank goodness for software like Scrivener (mac only, link on the left) that allows you to click between chapters and a corkboard with every chapter's synopsis laid out on cards. Saves a lot of fiddling with post-its and scrolling through yards of text.

What's also pleasing is that the company that developed Scrivener is based just down the road in Truro.

Now, back to the tweaking.

3 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about Scrivener - sounds like a great program.

    I kind of wonder if we are ever finished. Maybe there are several different finish lines & you're heading to the next one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you maybe right, Jemi! This last effort was definitely worth it. I'd woken in the middle of the night with a crystal clear realisation of what I needed to do. Amazing. That doesn't happen often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never finished a novel - never, ever, in my whole life. But, like teenage children, at some point you have to let them go...

    ReplyDelete