Thursday, 23 July 2009

I've been framed

No more classes until the end of September! What will I do with myself until then? All manner of things, that's what I will do, all manner of things. Accounts first, even though I still have the end of a novel to be getting on with and another story is itching at the temples. Still, both will have to wait until I've finished reading a delicious novel by one of my favourite authors, Paul Auster. This one is called The Book of Illusions and I have about another hundred pages to go. I'm not going to review it here, just to say that Auster is a master story teller. He makes it all seem so simple. Try him and see. Oh, and check out page 242; in a paragraph he gives us the framework for a romance. A good exercise would be to write an actual story using his frame. I think I will...when I've finished the book that is.

ps The bit where the woman walks in the room carrying a gun...well!

2 comments:

  1. Paul Auster is indeed great. The Brooklyn Follies is another excellent one by him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Anonymous Chris! Brooklyn Follies was a good read too. I have New York Trilogy on my shelf too but haven't read it yet. So many books, not enough time!

    ReplyDelete